"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Monday, January 30, 2012

Non-Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas

By now everyone recognizes this recipe from a Pinterest post. Mine is obviously a little different because it's vegan and it's not made in the crockpot. As soon as I saw the pin for this, I wanted to try to veganize it but I'm not one to plan meals in advance and remember to put them in the crockpot (even though I now own 2 of them). So, the other night my husband and I stopped at the grocery store for the ingredients we didn't have at home and I made up my own (though slightly similar) version.



What You Need

2 pkgs Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips
2-4 tbs olive oil
3-4 tbs taco seasoning
1 can of corn (not sweet), drained
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
1 (8 oz) pkg of vegan cream cheese

Serve with any (or all) of the following:
white rice
salsa
tortillas

What You Do

~ Place chik'n, olive oil and 1-2 tbs taco seasoning in a large frying pan and saute until slightly browned.


~ Meanwhile, combine remaining taco seasoning, corn, black beans, rotel and cream cheese in a medium-large pot or saucepan.


~ Cover and cook on medium-low until cream cheese is melted and it resembles a thick soup (about 10-15 minutes), stirring 2-3 times.


~ Stir in chik'n, replace lid and continue to cook for another 15-20 
minutes.


~ Stir one final time and serve over rice and/or in tortillas and top with salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment