"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Veggie Quinoa

I have to admit, sometimes I just have no idea what to make for dinner. One night a few weeks ago, my husband was hungry and wanted something different. It was late and I didn't have the energy for a trip to the grocery store so I tried something new. I took inventory of the vegetables and grains we already had in the kitchen and came up with the recipe below. I used quinoa* (keen-wah) instead of rice because it's nutritional value allowed for a more rounded meal. After posting it on my Facebook page, I received some feedback that a recipe similar to this by Betty Crocker already exists. However, my recipe includes a few additional veggies. Enjoy!


What You Need

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 teaspoon olive oil 
1/2 cup onion, diced 
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced 
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/2 cup yellow peppers, diced 
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup cooked corn
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or more to taste)
1 can (14oz) vegetable broth



What You Do

~ Rinse quinoa thoroughly and drain well


~ In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once heated, add quinoa and onions. Cook about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (until it turns a light brown color)


~ Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat to a boil; then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook at simmer for about 15 minutes or until most of the broth is absorbed into the quinoa.


~ Fluff with fork and serve.



*Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment